NEW Real Estate Agent Goals
If you’re new to real estate, congratulations on making the leap. You’re in an industry that offers you the opportunity to earn a tremendous amount of money. At the same time, you can enjoy the independence of working for yourself.
But you also need to be realistic. Real estate is a very difficult business. The vast majority of real estate agents are barely getting by. No reason to sugarcoat things.
So, the question is, what should your new real estate agent goals be moving forward? What are the steps you can take to ensure success as your build your career as a real estate agent? Here are a few things to consider as you launch your career in real estate:
- Listing or buyer’s agent? There’s an old adage you’ll likely hear at some point: “buyers take time, listings take skill.” It’s true. In general, the top earners in our industry are listing agents. They’ve learned that the time invested in prospecting expired or for-sale-by-owner (FSBO) leads pays much higher dividends than taking the time to show buyers home after home.
- Prospect every day. Once you make the decision to be a listing agent, you’ll need to fully embrace the importance of taking time to prospect every day. Calling leads can be a harrowing experience, mainly because we’re afraid of rejection. But you have to give it time, for once you become comfortable with handling a prospect’s objections, you’ll be well on your way to success. SET A GOAL for a certain number of live contacts each day, and plug away until you achieve that goal.
- Study and internalize your scripts. One of your primary goals as a new listing agent is to become intimately familiar with your prospecting scripts. To know your scripts is to understand how to deflect objections. SET A GOAL of memorizing your scripts within the first two weeks.
- Build a support team. This is really critical. Find an accountability partner, someone who can hold your feet to the fire, and keeps you on task. Start each day working with a role-playing partner to sharpen your skills. And, if you can afford it, hire a coach to guide your development. You don’t have to go this alone. SET A GOAL of finding an accountability and/or role-playing partner in your first month. ESPRESSO AGENT can help find you a partner.
- Invest in a CRM system. The top-performing real estate agents leverage the power of lead generation and CRM systems such as ESPRESSO AGENT for three reasons. First, you get the BEST expired and FSBO leads delivered to your desktop every morning. Second, the dialer allows you to make ten times the calls that you would make by manually dialing. And, third, the CRM allows you to stay organized and focused on your priorities. SET A GOAL to learn more about Espresso Agent’s offering and pricing within the next two weeks.
- Know your numbers. Get in the habit early of tracking your numbers. What’s the ratio of calls to a live conversation? How many live conversations do you need to secure a listing presentation? How many listing presentations lead to contracts? The more comfortable you become with your numbers, the more you are able to project future performance as your business expands. SET A GOAL of creating your own tracking system within your first month.
As we said at the outset, real estate can be a challenging business. Of course, if it were easy, everyone would be a real estate agent. But everyone’s not an agent; you ARE.
And YOU can be tremendously successful if you stick to the points outlined above. Set your new real estate agent goals and start strong, right out of the gate. It only takes one successful call, one listing presentation, one commission check to completely change your life.
YOU CAN DO IT!