We focus a lot of energy in this blog on sharing strategies to maximize your performance as a real estate agent. But there is, perhaps, no more important strategy for success than taking care of your physical, mental and spiritual health. In that spirit, we close 2020 with a few tips on how to live a healthier, and ultimately, more successful 2021:
- Get started on a daily exercise regimen. The Department of Health and Human Services suggests that you maintain a schedule of moderate physical activity for 150 minutes per week. Or, if you want to push yourself, 75 minutes of vigorous activity, including weight training. And it doesn’t take much to get started. Walking for 30 minutes a day, for five days takes care of the recommended level of moderate activity. And with so many great audio books and podcasts to listen to, you’ll find that getting up to 30 minutes is a breeze, and is enjoyable. If you’re still a little hesitant to join a health club or use your existing membership because of COVID, there are an incredible number of excellent, FREE yoga and aerobic classes online. So, start your morning with a little heart-pumping exercise, then fire up Espresso Agent to start your prospecting day.
- Monitor your health on an on-going basis. An exercise regimen is important, but so is staying on top of your overall health. Many people, out of fear or ignorance, avoid doing the bare essentials, such as getting periodic medical check-ups, vision exams and general health screenings. The best way to reduce your chances of getting sick and to detect potentially, life-threatening problems is to be actively engaged in monitoring your health on an on-going basis.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of a good night’s sleep. It’s easy to get caught up in our 24/7 wired world, which does not promote healthy sleep habits. Quality sleep helps to keep the weight off, while also reducing critical risk factors for heart attacks, strokes and other chronic diseases. Maintain a strict sleep schedule, going to bed the same time each night. Make sure your bedroom is at a cool, comfortable temperature. Turn off your screens at least an hour prior to getting into bed. Try not to consume caffeine (including those Diet Cokes) after 1 PM.
- Incorporate mindfulness practices into your daily routine. Such practices have been shown to reduce stress and help maintain our equilibrium over the course of days that can be hectic and stressful. It doesn’t take much to start a meditation practice. Spend as little as 10 minutes to sit quietly and simply watch your in and out breath. In fact, with an Apple Watch or various apps, you can get periodic reminders to “breathe” which is an excellent way to stay mindful during the day. Also, slow down! Instead of multi-tasking (which, by the way, is a myth), focus on doing one thing at a time. Eat mindfully. Keep social media and email check-ins to a minimum. Maintaining a mindfulness practice is simple, and doesn’t cost you’re a penny. So, start breathing.
- Be sure to maintain an “attitude of gratitude.” Research shows that being grateful is a great way to reduce stress and stave off bouts of depression. It also lowers your blood pressure. Take a few minutes prior to getting into bed to write five things you’re grateful for in a journal. It will help improve your sleep. And, as a real estate agent, you’ll be happy to know that practicing gratitude has been shown to improve both mental resilience and self-esteem (two essential ingredients to sales success).
- By helping others, you help yourself. There’s a principle called “helper’s high.” It’s what happens when you activate your “feel-good” neurotransmitters after helping someone or giving someone a gift. There are so many ways to help others through donating our “time, talent or treasures.” But it doesn’t even have to be that complicated. The next time you’re in the drive-thru at Starbucks, pick up the tab for the car behind you. That simple, random-act-of-kindness, of “paying it forward,” will be a great way to start your day. Not to mention how the person who just got a FREE latte will feel.
- Work on all of the relationships in your life. Research tells us that people who have satisfying relationships with family, friends and co-workers are happier, have fewer health problems, and live longer, more satisfying lives. In a strange way, COVID has helped all of us to appreciate the relationships in our lives. While not the same thing as being together physically, apps like Zoom and Face Time have played an important role in keeping us all connected.
So, in sum, slow down, take a walk, watch your breath, call a friend and buy a coffee for a stranger. With that, everyone at Espresso Agent wishes you a healthy, happy and prosperous 2021.