Here’s to your Health… and Success in 2022
The benefits of a regular exercise regimen are well documented, so we won’t use this space to rehash information and statistics you’ve probably heard a million times.
But one thing’s for sure, regular exercise helps to keep your mind focused and energized; two qualities that are critical to successful real estate prospecting.
If you have a regular exercise routine, congratulations, and keep at it. If you’ve made “exercising” one of your 2022 resolutions, read on as we share some tips on how to get started:
- Get Your Head in the Game: You have to be ready to start an exercise program. It would be wise to tell your doctor that you want to begin a fitness program. And, of course, you want to make sure you’re healthy enough to start. Once your doctor has cleared you to proceed, you need to get your head in the game. How likely are you to stick with an exercise program once you begin? Be honest with yourself about what you are willing and able to do, and to stick with.
- Plan and Write it Down: Just as you write down your business plan, you should commit your exercise program to a written plan, Consider several questions. First, when will you exercise? Pick three days and times that are convenient for you. Second, what type of exercise will you do? Strive for something you’re likely to enjoy. Walking is a perfectly fine way to stay in shape, and maybe less daunting to start. Third, how much time are you willing to invest in your program? If you’re new to exercise, you’d be smart to start small, say as little as 10 minutes per session, and slowly build from there.
- Pacing is Key: Prospecting is a commitment to your real estate success. In this spirit, think of exercise as a lifelong commitment to a healthier lifestyle. Take it easy at the beginning, by starting with low-to-moderate intensity workouts. Don’t watch other people and feel you need to be pushing yourself harder than is necessary. You’ll only burn out and get discouraged. If you start with 15-minute walks 3-4 times per week, you’re more likely to keep at it over the long haul.
- Use the Buddy System: We’ve written in this blog about the value of having an accountability partner for your prospecting efforts. Take the same approach to exercise. Surely, you’ll know someone who resolved to start exercising in the New Year. You’re both more likely to succeed if you venture out together. You’re also likely to have more fun. Of course, you’ll need to find an exercise that both of you enjoy. Again, this might take some trial and error, but eventually you’ll land on something that will motivate each of you (or even a larger group), and keep everyone focused and on-task.
- Get real: Something like 9 out of 10 people give up on their New Years resolutions within the first month. Here’s why: they tend to make resoutions that are extremely impractical. Of course, goals are important, but as long as they are reasonable goals for where you are in your life. Running in a 5K by summer is a reasonable goal. Running a marathon on the same time frame? Not so likely.
If your New Years resolution is to get in shape, BRAVO! You can do it. But you need to be smart in how you approach this resolution. Slow, steady and realistic are the principles that should guide your efforts.
Good luck. And have a great 2022.
Winning with Expireds: A Refresher Course
Most top-producing real estate agents focus on “expired listings” as…Read More