Generally speaking, high-performing real estate agents all tend to share a similar quality: they are PRODUCTION-FOCUSED!
No matter how busy they might be with the details of the business (closings, previews, managing pendings, etc), they know they can’t afford to step away from production-based activities, such as:
- Lead generation
- Lead follow up
- Role play/practice
- Handling objections
Production-focused agents know that business will always flow when they are in a lead-generating mindset. They seem to be genetically-programmed to keep their new business pipeline full, to overflowing. In fact, most top performers spend anywhere from 70-80% of their time each year (day, week, month) on the aforementioned production activities.
Or, perhaps we should call them by their more motivating name: MONEY-MAKING activities.
If you want to shift your mentality to one that is production-based, here are SIX tips shared by top-producing agents:
- Top producers set very high standards for themselves. At any given time, they can tell you where they are relative to their goals. In other words, they are always tracking their numbers. If their results aren’t where they want them to be, they move into “why” mode to figure out what needs to be changed to get back on course.
- Top producers embrace the reality that real estate is a “contact sport.” They know their job is to keep calling in order to “offer their services” as many times as possible each day. Note the purposeful use of words in the previous sentence. Great sellers view the world from a consultative, or “service” perspective, which can help with motivation when prospecting. Above all, top agents know that they need to go after business, and never wait for it to come to them.
- Top producers know the importance of keeping a schedule (i. routine). And, for most, this schedule starts with a commitment to lead generation every morning. Without fail. They have come to believe that honoring their daily prospecting schedule is the best, most proven, way to keep their pipeline full.
- Top producers know that prospecting in the morning is the key to success. Why? Because working the phones in the morning allows them to connect with new expireds before other agents. And no matter how long you’ve been in this business, you know that new expired listings represent the lowest-handing fruit on the tree of prospecting success.
- Top producers keep a tight lid on distractions. It is very easy these days to allow distractions to take over any well-intended schedule. The key to managing distractions is to practice discipline in everything you do.
- Top producers hold themselves accountable. Often, they have partners to help keep then accountable: coaches, role-players, mastermind groups. Whatever the mix, top performing real estate agents know that accountability often translates to continued success.
If you’re frustrated because you aren’t making the kind of money you’d like to be making, maybe you need to look at your “operating philosophy.”
Are you spending 70-80% of your time on production (money)-focused activities? If not, why?
If you’re mired in administrative (especially transactional) detail, maybe you need to hire a part-time admin to handle those details, freeing you up to earn the money you were meant to earn.
THINK PRODUCTION, and the money will come!